Friday, June 10, 2016

Mohd Hafizuddin set for ASEAN University Games in Singapore

NATIONAL fencer Mohd Hafizuddin Hj Awg Damit will represent the sultanate and University Brunei Darussalam (UBD) at this year’s ASEAN University Games in Singapore from July 9-19.

Mohd Hafizuddin was one of the two fencers who made their debut in the 2014 edition of the biennial tournament in Palembang, Indonesia.

The other national fencer was Muinuddin Masri. However, the duo failed to progress to the second round of the tournament.

In an interview with The Brunei Times yesterday, Mohd Hafizuddin said that the tournament will be much harder this time but he hopes he will do better than his last campaign.

“This will be my first tournament of the year and I hope I can do well this time,” said Mohd Hafizuddin.

“The pressure of competing is definitely there - especially since I’m the only one who will be representing the country and UBD in fencing this year.

“Singapore will be the toughest country to beat - since they just had the 28th Southeast Asian Games last year and won three gold medals in the sport.

“Of course, since they’re hosting another international tournament, they will be much more prepared for it than any of the other countries competing.

“The ASEAN University Games serve as an international platform for students to broaden their respective sports experience as well as their experience as student athletes - so I hope I can make the country and UBD proud,” he added.

When asked about his training preparations for the tournament, the 24-year-old linguistic student insisted that he needs to train more during Ramadhan in order for him to be ready.

“I trained almost everyday during the break before entering my final year, but I had to slow down a little bit before my final examinations last month,” said Mohd Hafizuddin.

“Training resumes on Friday so I can’t afford to miss any training sessions because the tournament is just a month away. Balancing academics and sporting commitments is a great challenge, but for me - it’s worth it.”


Source: The Brunei Times

No comments: